Sunday 20 February 2011

Winter Wood

 I love wood (and trees, obviously) amongst other things.

You needn’t worry, I’m not going to mention anything about sheds, I promise. (Oops – just did) 
Don’t you think wood is just so beautiful? I hope I’m not alone on this one…

It is spectacular on so many levels.
I love the heady aroma of newly felled trees, freshly sawn timber and of course the ubiquitous scent of pine from the annual Christmas tree.   
I marvel at the plethora of noises it is capable of making - crackling, creaking and spitting its way to cremation once set alight, the inevitable squeak of  dried, ancient floorboards underfoot, the groaning and moaning of immense  roof beams hewn from  a once mighty oak ; the cacophony of sound it  creates  is seemingly endless.



Wood surrounds us in our day to day lives yet we sometimes neglect to notice its beauty and form.


Anyway, before I get too poetic I thought I’d share with you some real life wood art I discovered on a visit to a sleepy, out-of-the-way village in Italy.


Oh, and this one is strictly NOT a shed so I awarded it a place of honour in the wood stakes.








0 comments:

Post a Comment