Monday 30 April 2012

Through the Eyes of a Child


Last week I had the unexpected pleasure of working in a school with a group of 7 year olds.
Their mini project was the Diamond Jubilee and as part of this we did some art/drama and dance.

Now I'm sticking my neck out here - I believe that every child is an artist. They are born artists. As soon as they are able to hold a pencil or brush they  draw and paint in their own original way, seeing things through their own eyes.

I love this uniqueness, this individuality. It should be nurtured, encouraged and celebrated. 


So I'm sharing some of their emergent art work with you.
Portraits of a very young Queen Elizabeth II in oil pastels and a block print of Buckingham Palace.

It was just wonderful to see their faces when they did the 'peel and reveal' on the block print - priceless! Just wish I had my camera at the ready.

(The 'bird thing' over BP seemed to spread round the class!)

























 Worthy of the National Portrait Gallery!


2 comments:

  1. Fantastic stuff! particularly loved the cross-eyed Queen. I sometimes visit schools to talk about picture books and to let them loose on their own 'flap' picture. I particularly love all the hugs at the end, and once one little lad solemnly invited me to his party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Claire. Thanks so much for dropping by and for your comment. Yes,the crossed-eyed one is just fab and would look great in a book of some description. Little ones are less inhibited and haven't yet built up a reserve, so what you see is what you get! Looking forward to perusing your website. Hope to converse across the 'pages' soon!
    Jules

    ReplyDelete